Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ophelia's Pet Peeves

Am not exactly in a rant-ish mood but I supposed having severe menstrual cramps this week did cramp my mood somewhat. In the spirit of my cramp-ish temperament, I decided that I would "rant" about my pet peeves.

Peeve 1
I hate having to wake up to alarm clocks. Waking up to alarm clocks meant that I am at the mercy of a routine. I do hate routines and so I do rebel against routines! And seriously, my bed is like the most amazing bed ever, its just so DARN difficult to wake up, especially when its raining and I get my ARSE off the bed, pronto!

Peeve 2
I hate the morning train crowds. Its friggin IMPOSSIBLE to have an inch to stand, let alone a seat! A seat is like striking lottery at 8.30am in the morning. I just don't understand why there are still that many people when the train frequency is like every 2 or 3 minutes. Its annoying enough to have to endure an almost hour long journey in my heels and dammit, its worse having rude inconsiderate stupid people standing around you who do not understand the meaning of keep to your space and give others space!

Peeve 3
I hate having to organise get-togethers, etc outside work. OK, so at work, I was and probably would still be subjected to the mercy of the colleagues, clients, etc but really, I don't need to go through that angst after office hours! Its an agony to have to sit through a discussion, first to sort out the date and time, next to sort out where to eat or have drinks or what movie to watch. I wince at having to participate in such discussions and usually I just shut up cos its too much effort. Hence, there is a perception that I have no opinion, FINE. But seriously, unless you are going to spend $$ on a great meal or drinks or movie, everything else is average and so live with it!

Peeve 4
I hate hate hate people who are quick to form perceptions and are judgemental. Its like I blog and so I am considered immediately a blogger?! I have nothing against the term blogger but what is it that I cannot blog or why should I be termed a blogger just like that? I blog because it is a creative outlet for myself outside work where I do not need to express myself in politically correct statements or behave in a diplomatically Upper East Side manner.

And another thing I absolutely dislike is that I am judged to be Upper East Side simply because of the nature of my job and hence, moolah is of secondary concern. WTF! It was and still is the nature of my industry/job to look the part and hence if I am spending $$$$ on a Chanel 2.55 or a pair of Manolos, its really my own farking business and you can really fark off with your snide remarks/comments/looks.

I mean, these are examples of how people are quick to perceive and judge. I am amazed constantly when people I meet tell me that they are possibly the most open-minded amazing individuals I have met when their ugly nature show through pretty quickly.

Peeve 5
I hate people who are wishy washy or indecisive. I have a lot of WTF moments when I have to deal with these people outside work. I don't even want to get there with the people I had to deal with at work. Everytime I feel the oncoming angst, my biatchy fangs itch to be let loose only to be held back again by the perceived Upper East Side facade.

OK, maybe there are factors that make people behave in this manner, maybe its the nature of my industry/job that had moulded me to make decisions within minutes, stick with it and deal with whatever BS that came my way. Again I would beg to differ, it is not diffcult to make that decision. It may be for the better, for the worse in the days ahead but heck, how much time do we really have left in this world? Not much, and surely all of us are entitled to spend it in good health and happiness with time to smell the roses? I don't think it is irresponsible to say put yourself before others because this is your life, regardless of where you are in life right now. Living out the remaining days shackled by obligations, resentment, unhappiness ain't exactly my idea of a life. Not at all.

Peeve 6
I ABSOLUTELY dislike people with bad manners or social etiquette. Again, if you like, its the Upper East Side bit of me. I cannot comprehend how difficult it is to restrain yourself from the buffet table or free flow of wine/champagne/canapes, how difficult it is to do an obligatory round of hellos/farewells to the people at the table, how difficult it is to thank the host or hostess for organising that party, etc etc etc! It is just mind baffling!

I find it incredibly rude and off-putting to treat the other people at the table as if they were non-existent. Frankly, if you had an issue with meeting new acquaintances socially, don't bother! Just keep to your familiar circle of friends and save your new acquaintances the angst or trouble at having to come to you to introduce themselves. You aint the farking King or Queen, so don't behave like one or believe you deserve that kind of kingly or queenly respect! Nobody in the right frame of mind appreciates wallflowers or wallflowers who perceive themselves to be awesome hunklicious or babelicious cool shite!

So yeah, I am not the sweet gracious proper Ophelia you assumed me to be all the time. But I really am like that, oh well, for the most part!

No comments: